Duke of York's Theatre
Designed by Walter Emden, The Duke Of York’s Theatre opened in 1892 under a different name – The Trafalgar Square Theatre. It received its current name 3 years later in 1895 in honour of the future King George V. The theatre was built for Frank Wyatt’s wife, Violet Melnotte, who owned the theatre right up to her death in 1935.
Famous productions to have played the Duke Of York’s Theatre include David Belasco’s Madame Butterfly in 1900 – Puccini was in the audience and famously turned the story into an opera – and J. M. Barrie premiered his famous creation Peter Pan, or The Boy Who Wouldn’t Grow Up at the theatre on 27th December 1904. The Royal Court’s production of Death and the Maiden also played here in 1992 as one of the hottest tickets in London.
The Ambassador Theatre Group have owned the theatre since 1992 and has since become the London headquarters for the company. Sonia Friedman Productions also have their offices within the complex.
The auditorium has three levels – Stalls, Royal Circle and Upper Circle
The Stalls offer good legroom throughout, and the raking of the seats is very good, noticeably from Row D onwards. The Royal Circle overhangs at Row K.
Legroom isn’t ideal in the Royal Circle, but there is no visual obstruction from the Upper Circle above.
The seats in the Upper Circle curve towards the stage, but there isn’t a lot of legroom on offer. The final two rows are bench seats rather than individual ones.